: Eastát Chúirt an Phaoraigh
), located near Enniskerry
, County Wicklow
, is a large country estate which is noted for its house and landscaped gardens, today occupying 19 hectares (47 acres). The house, originally a 13th century castle, was extensively altered during the 18th century by German architect Richard Cassels
, starting in 1731
and finishing in 1741. A fire in 1974 left the house lying as a shell until it was renovated in 1996.
Today the estate is owned and run by the Slazenger
family. The former owners of the famous sports company purchased the estate from the Wingfield family in 1963. It is a popular tourist attraction, and includes a golf course
, an Avoca Handweavers
restaurant, and a Ritz-Carlton
13th Century House
The original owner of the 13th century castle was a man by the name of la Poer, which was eventually anglicised to Power. The castle's position was of strategic military importance, in that the castle's owner could control access to the nearby Dargle, Glencree and Glencullen rivers.
The three-story house had at least 68 rooms. The entrance hall was 18 metres (60 ft) long and 12 metres (40 ft) wide where family heirlooms were displayed. The main reception rooms were on the first floor rather than more typically on the ground floor. A mile-long avenue of beech trees leads to the house.
18th Century House
Powerscourt House was extensively altered during the 18th century by German architect Richard Cassels
, starting in 1731 and finishing in 1741.
On a commanding hilltop position, Richard Cassels
deviated slightly from his usual sombre style, to give the house something of what John Vanbrugh
would have called the 'castle air'; a severe palladian facade bookended by two circular domed towers.
King George IV was the guest of Richard Wingfield, fifth Viscount Powerscourt
in August 1821. In the 1830s, the house was the venue for a number of conferences on unfulfilled Bible prophecies, which were attended by men such as John Nelson Darby
and Edward Irving
. These conferences were held under the auspices of Theodosia Wingfield Powerscourt, then the dowager Lady Powerscourt. Her letters and papers have recently been republished together with the summaries of the Powerscourt prophetic conferences.
19th Century Gardens
, seventh Viscount Powerscourt, inherited the title and the Powerscourt estate, which comprised 200 km² (49,000 acres) of land in Ireland, at the age of 8 in 1844. When he reached the age of 21, he embarked on an extensive renovation of the house and created new gardens.
Inspiration for the garden design followed visits by Powerscourt to ornamental gardens at the Palace of Versailles
, Schönbrunn Palace
, and Schwetzingen Castle
. The garden development took 20 years to complete in 1880.
Main attractions on the grounds include the Tower Valley (with stone tower), Japanese gardens, winged horse statues, Triton
Lake, pet cemetery
, Dolphin Pond, walled gardens, Bamberg Gate and the Italian Garden
. The Pepperpot Tower is said to be designed after a favored 3" pepperpot
of Lady Wingfield. Of particular note is the pets cemetery, whose tombstones have been described as "astonishingly personal".
20th Century Fire and Renovation
The house was destroyed by fire on 4 November 1974, while it was owned by the Slazenger
family, and was subsequently renovated in 1996. Only two rooms are open to the public as they once appeared while Powerscourt had residents, while the rest of ground floor and first floor are now retail units. Source: Wikipedia